Spring in St. Louis
28, March 2014

Five Women Who Are Remembered in 250 in 250

We are nearing the end of Women’s History Month, and a number of famous women—ranging from Susan B. Anthony to Sojourner Truth—have been celebrated. St. Louis has also been home to amazing women who have fought for their rights and have made a mark in local and national history. Many of their stories can be found in 250 in 250, our exhibit commemorating the 250th anniversary of the city through the stories of 50 people, 50 places, 50 images, 50 moments, and 50 objects. Read more »

27, March 2014

Civil War Love Letters: March 27, 1864

In this letter, James refers to an expected exchange, and hopes that he will be in St. Louis before Molly received the letter. Unfortunately, there was not an exchange at that time. James also mentions Molly’s “Fair” work. In spring 1864, women in St. Louis, including Molly and her sister, Sallie, started preparations for a fair to benefit the Western Sanitary Commission, which provided hospital supplies for sick and wounded soldiers. The Mississippi Valley Sanitary Fair was held in St. Louis in May 1864.

Libby Prison
Richmond Va.
March 27th 1864

Mollie Dear Read more »

20, March 2014

Civil War Love Letters: March 20, 1864

By the time James wrote this letter, he had been a prisoner for six months, and, based on the tone of the letter, the time started to take a toll. General exchanges of prisoners had stopped the previous summer, largely due to disagreements over the exchange of black Union soldiers that were held by the Confederates. James’s only hope was to obtain a special exchange.

Hotel De' Libby
Richmond Va.
March 20th 1864

Mollie Dear Read more »

19, March 2014

Connecting with a Photograph: A 250 in 250 Image

Last month, the city rolled out the red carpet to celebrate 250 years since its founding. And here at the Missouri History Museum, we opened a yearlong exhibit called 250 in 250, which features the stories of 50 People, 50 Places, 50 Images, 50 Moments, and 50 Objects. Read more »

14, March 2014

Making History at 250 in 250

Nothing is stranger than seeing a person reading about herself in a history museum exhibition. I wrote the panel about Frankie Freeman for the 50 People section of 250 in 250, and seeing the real Freeman standing right in front of it felt nearly surreal. Freeman continued through the rest of the 50 People in the exhibit. Read more »

13, March 2014

Civil War Love Letters: March 13, 1864

While James remained in Libby Prison still hoping for an exchange, his regiment, the 8th Kansas Infantry, returned to St. Louis on furlough. Since the Battle of Chickamauga, where James was wounded, the regiment had participated in the siege and battle of Chattanooga, and several other battles in the area. On February 20, 1864, they arrived in St. Louis, where they reunited with their former commander, General William S. Rosecrans, and had a dinner prepared by the citizens of the city. After a few days in St. Louis, the regiment left to return home to Kansas. Read more »

12, March 2014

Artifact Madness 2014 Starts on March 17!

On March 29, an exciting new exhibit opens at the Museum—one that asks children and their grownups what they want to see in a space to be created just for them! History Clubhouse: Let’s Build It! engages families to interact with and explore some of St. Louis's favorite places, such as Soulard Market, Cahokia, and downtown St. Louis, in a gallery setting. The feedback we get from families will be incorporated into the permanent History Clubhouse gallery, opening in 2015. Read more »

7, March 2014

Russell Froelich: Behind the Lens

The photo at left is of Russell Froelich, a photographer who worked for the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, the St. Louis Globe-Democrat, and the St. Louis Star in the first half of the twentieth century. At first glance, I thought this image was an old-time version of a selfie. More likely it was not taken in front of a mirror but rather by another photographer. Read more »

6, March 2014

Civil War Love Letters: March 6, 1864

James’s hopes of getting out of Libby Prison were briefly lifted by two events, an exchange of prisoners and an expedition to release Union soldiers held in Confederate prisons in Richmond, Virginia, including Libby. In early February 1864, Union brigadier general H. Judson Kilpatrick met with President Abraham Lincoln and Secretary of War Edwin M. Stanton, who approved Kilpatrick’s plan for a raid on Richmond. Kilpatrick and his detachment of approximately 3,000 troops reached the city on March 2 after destroying Confederate rail lines on the way. Read more »

28, February 2014

Bidding Farewell to the Gillette Family Garden

The Gillette Family Garden on the Museum's east lawn has been a tremendous resource for K–12 students visiting the Slavery at Jefferson’s Monticello exhibition. Our young Museum visitors have been engaged with the garden, which helped them discover history about the lives of the enslaved families who lived at Monticello. They also gained a sense of the political, social, cultural, and economic developments that shaped lives during the Antebellum period and how those currents worked to shape American life today. Read more »